Sunday 10 May 2009

Spending Alert!!!

Or should I say alarm!!! Crap, bollocks, shit - I've just done something really stupid!!

I spent a lovely day yesterday shopping down at Cribbs Causeway with my friend Bec. Really nice chilled out day, and for about the first 4 hours I was doing fine budget wise - I'd tried lots of things on, but only bought one top from the sale at French Connection, that was within my budget. Oh yes, I was being very good. And in fact, I was genuinely happy as I was being extra fussy and just hadn't seen anything that took my fancy.

Then I tried on a red dress as a possibly for the ball this weekend - cute, well really cute - but I put it back and wandered on to the next shop. I was also half-heartedly looking for some black work shoes - tried some on, expensive, but nice, but if I'm honest I was a little bit concerned about how comfy they might be - I bought them anyway . £55 gone. And then because it was buy one, get one half price in there, I was gullible and went and bought a £50 pair of wedges too. Ok so I only paid £25 for those, but I'd suddenly spent £80. Then there was the trilby hat and the earrings I just couldn't resist - another £26 gone, and finally I went back on impulse and got the dress on the basis that I wasn't sure my existing dress would still fit me and I could always take it back later (another £40 gone).

I don't have that money. Worse still, I obviously knew I didn't have that money as I put everything after the French Connection top on my sodding credit card. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah - what a stupid bloody thing to do. I spent about £150 on my credit card that I didn't mean to.

And this my friends is why I end up in debt. Because I am a stupidly, irresponsible shop-a-holic.

So here's what I'm going to do. I will try on my existing cocktail dress this morning. If it still fits OK (there's a possibility it may now be too big around the bust, as I've been losing weight recently) the red dress goes back. If it doesn't fit, then obviously there's not a lot I can do, so the dress will have to stay. I will try on the black shoes this morning. If they are not comfortable enough that I can see myself wearing them, I will take them back one evening this week after work. Now here's the tricky part. I really like the wedges I bought at the same time, and they are pretty damn comfy, but because I got them half price, when I get a refund for the black shoes, I'd then have to pay the other half of those. And £50 for a pair of sandals is still expensive. I got given a load of vouchers by work as lieu payment for my overtime at Christmas and I've still got some left. I think if I want to keep the wedges I should see if I can get them via the vouchers instead, thereby getting them for free. The hat and earrings I can live with paying for on my credit card - I shall just make sure I make an extra payment as soon as I'm paid to get them off there.

So there is my plan of spending mitigation. I seriously have to learn how to be better with my money.

I also got a gentle admonishment from my dad when I was having coffee with him on Friday that if I'd not moved into my flat over a year ago, the money I'd have saved in rent and bills would almost have built up to a house deposit by now. I did point out though that since I am actually incapable of saving money that that would never happened. I also silently thought that a 27 year old still living at home is a bit sad and the reason I'd moved out again was that moving back in at home when I came back from London was only ever meant to be a temporary measure, I ended up being there 2 years and I need my own space! I do take his point though.

Oh well - let's see if I can fix this monetary cock-up first.

No comments:

Post a Comment