Thursday 7 May 2009

Good news and sad memories

After all that doom and gloom about my dad yesterday, he surprised me by ringing me last night, literally as I was contemplating picking up the phone to him. I was amazed and delighted to hear him sounding far more cheerful than usual, and as he filled me on his news, I was inwardly cheering to myself.

He's made friends with a really nice couple his own age. They're retired like him, they're wealthy so they won't be trying to sponge money (thank god) and they're very outgoing. Everything I said I wanted for him yesterday (maybe I should have been muttering about a lottery win too lol). They've been for lunch together, and are taking him with them to a classical concert tonight - hooray!!! He's also been going back to his art class, and actually talking to people ... seriously, I know it sounds patronising to say this, but I couldn't ask for better news. And when he's upbeat like this, I selfishly find it so much easier to talk to him. The divorcee also rang to ask him for another loan and he told her where to stick .... go dad!!!!!!

We've arranged to meet for coffee in town tomorrow afternoon, and I'm going to get tickets to go to the theatre next month too - we're going to go and see the stage production of 'Allo ' Allo. I loved that show when I was younger - it was funny when I was young enough to be blissfully unaware of the high innuendo count, and even funnier when I was old enough to understand.

Let's see - what else has been happening? I've been swapping email messages with the guy from the dating website. No idea where it's going, but I'm thinking I'd quite like to actually meet up with him at some point as he seems really nice. What else? I'm still trying hard to stick to my budgeting plans. Errr .... I've just bought my ball ticket for next weekend, and we've also now got flights booked to Croatia for August (yep - budget plans, my ass). And I have the miracle of a free weekend ahead of me - absolute bliss.

Thinking about my mother the last couple of days because of dad has made me reluctantly think that I really should go and visit her grave. I've been sucessfully putting it off for just over 2 years now, and haven't been there since the day we interred the ashes. I don't know if it's a form of denial that it all happened, and I feel terrible that I haven't been - like I'm somehow denying her memory, but I also feel that it will upset me to go there and have to see the gravestone with her name on it. Two years has passed so quickly but maybe it's time to go and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment