Tuesday 30 June 2009

Hard Rock Calling

Last weekend was the much awaited trip to London for Hard Rock Calling. I've been looking forward to this, and just crossing my fingers that the weather would hold out for us.


Friday morning dawned .... and the hills were absolutely blanketed in cloud outside my window, heavy and ominous with rain. Where the friggin' hell did the promised heat wave go?? A quick check with friends already down South revealed that the weather was looking a bit better down that way, so I quickly packed a mixed bag of clothes and jumped in the car. 2 hours later I drove past Oxford and out of the rain, another hour and I was driving into sunny, sunny Clapham and expiring from heat exhaustion. RESULT!!! And god bless air-con! lol


After a bit of faffing at the boys' flat, during which time Tony managed to lose and then find again not one, but two, Oyster cards (tube passes), we set off across the common to the tube and ventured into central London under the sunniest of skies. Needless to say the tube was about a 1000 degrees and we then managed to turn ourselves around coming out of the Green Park tube and trying to work out which direction Hyde Park was in! However, we were finally able to employ the tried and tested method of "sea of humanity navigation", used by concert goers the world over - find the crowd and follow it!

It's such a trauma having to spend an afternoon in a gloriously sunny park with some cold beverages, gourmet burgers, about 10,000 of your closest friends / complete strangers, and some absolutely stonking music.

The Kooks rocked, The Killers - well they totally killed it, and a good time was generally had by all.

The only possible downer - when will Tony learn that "no" does in fact mean "no", not "I'm just playing with you and really, I'll turn round and tell you I want you any second now". It's one thing friend's being tactile because you're comfortable around each other. It's something else entirely when onlookers assume you're a couple from the possessive body language one person takes. And it really cramps my style, dammit!!

Sheesh. He's a good friend of mine, but really, his behaviour does push the limits of acceptable sometimes. Needless to say, I opted to stay in the spare room back at the boys' flat and avoid all possible misinterpretations of my behaviour.

It was good to see Pete and Chris again though (the flat's other residents and friends of mine) - I must have hit lucky, as it's very rare they're all around at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment