Tuesday 23 June 2009

Pity party for 1

I've wanted to write a post on this for a while, but at the same time I feel weak for writing it. That feeling like this, being a bit self-pitying about it, isn't something I really want to put out there.



I sometimes wonder what it is that's wrong with me. There must be something, because guys ... just don't like me. I mean they like me fine, as a friend - I have plenty of male friends. But when it comes down to things of a romantic nature, I am never that girl. It's just never me. They just don't seem to find me attractive.



It's a tough topic, because it's one that's so hard to be objective about. It's hard to objectively work out what it is that other's have that I don't have. At least there's cold comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one.



My friends seem to fall in to one of 3 categories:


  • always in a stable relationship. On the very rare occasions that they break up with their other half, they seem to just spontaneously attract a new partner, and immediately settle down into a new, and stable, relationship. Generally, these are the ones who are now starting to get married.

  • in and out of relationships, but can't seem to hold one down. An odd category, these ones. They used to be in a stable relationship. They're generally the most successful and beautiful of my friends, and they don't seem to be able to hang on to a guy. They have a stream of relationships with sucessful, good-looking guys, but then they're always single again.

  • the perpetually single. That'll be my category then. Historically, not a long term relationship in sight. And dates are few and far between. Whilst the others just seem to naturally meet guys who want to go on a date with them, the only dates we get are the ones we make an effort to get through a dating website or similar. We meet people, but they're just not interested in us - always our friends, but never us.

We're not particularly ugly, or terrible people. We have good jobs, and fun lives, and yet there is a spectactular lack of men on the horizon for us.


Are we doomed to be single forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment