Wednesday 17 June 2009

Open mouth AFTER thinking

We had a work night out last night - a kind of team bonding thing because we're integrating with an equivalent finance department from the other company housed on our site. All well and good, but since a lot of us newer folk don't know our opposite numbers in the other dept, a night out bowling was organised as an informal setting for a meet and greet.

It was kind of nice actually - very relaxed, and the guys we'll be working with seem pretty cool. But on the same game they mixed the teams up randomly, and I found myself in a team with a new guy who's come in at a fairly senior level. I've heard stuff about him round the office (in terms of work, not him personally) that wasn't entirely favourable - that he's very ambitious and will happily trample people to get to the top, but I've not had anything to do with him myself to date. I've barely made eye-contact with the guy before. He seemed quite friendly, and since we were the youngest people in our team we chatted (I'd say he's probably a couple of years older than me, but not much more than that - everyone else in our team was pretty senior).

Chatting turned to friendly competitiveness over the game at stake. That in turn led to banter. And I'm almost sure that the banter started taking on an edge of flirtation. I'm also pretty sure that that would be an incredibly bad idea. I really must get a reign on my mouth. The bantering was pretty intense, and at best I've just insulted the hell out of someone considerably senior to me (although he seemed to take it well and gave as good as he got), and at worst I flirted with someone considerably senior to me who I'm going to have to work with soon enough.

Not a smooth move.

1 comment:

  1. Yo, yo other blog isn't accepting comments for some reason. FYI.

    ReplyDelete