Tuesday 14 July 2009

Stuck on the horns of dilemma

I'm meant to be going on holiday this weekend, but as per usual, I've way over-complicated stuff.

It goes like this - next week is The Amazing Scotland Adventure 2009™. This is 2 weeks in the far, remote West coast of Scotland at a friends place that happens every year. The cottage is basic, but once a year a whole group of us pile up there for an extended session of drinking, windsurfing, mountain-biking, walking, fishing in the rowing boat, playing on the stunning beach 10 mins from the cottage, and generally leaving the cares and stresses of daily life behind. I'm doing the first week this year and it kicks off on Sat.

Also this weekend is my friend, Kok's, legendary once a year house-party in London. They have a big house in Clapham and every summer an eclectic, interesting, beautiful crowd of people descend for one night of intense partying.

Problem - both of them are start Saturday.

Bollocks!!

So the dilemma is this - do I head up to Scotland with everyone else on Sat, and miss the party? This means I can travel in convoy, share the driving, but ultimately miss out on a cracking night and a chance to catch up with friends I see very rarely. Or do I go down to London, party on Sat night, and then do a solitary drive to Scotland on Sunday. With the additional distance from London, the drive is 9 hours, assuming perfect traffic and no breaks. So realistically you're looking at 11-12 hours driving time. With a hangover and sleep deprivation.

Originally, Hannah, who's also going to Scotland, was going to a ball in Cambridge on Sat night, so I was going to collect her on Sunday morning and we'd drive it together, but the person she was going with has let her down.

I've looked at planes and trains to get to Scotland, but nothing really works - or nothing I can afford anyway, so I'm still stuck for what to do.

Damn everything being the same weekend!!!

2 comments:

  1. I say go to the party - but then I hate to miss out on anything!!

    12 hours driving is admittedly hideous, but I reckon its probably worth it :)

    ReplyDelete