Tuesday 17 November 2009

The Wanderer Returns

I'm absolutely gutted that my trip has flown past already, and I'm now back once again in the dreary UK, feeling more restless than ever.

We had an absolutely amazing week out in Dahab, with some absolutely howling winds for windsurfing. Generally, everything went pretty smoothly - the flights were a bit longer than expected, but not majorly delayed and there weren't any major problems during the week.

I've definitely learnt plenty of stuff this week: I've been using a smaller board all week and have finally graduated away from the daggerboard (been a long time coming), my beachstarts are now consistent, even in strong winds, I've been using my harness more, going quicker and starting to plane, and my sailing is generally more stable. Basically, I've got safer, stronger and quicker.

I also realised how much I wish I'd sailed regularly throughout the year, where I've allowed myself to get distracted by mountain-biking, the gym and learning to run. Jo said the same and we've both vowed to make sure we get some decent time in on the water this coming year, including a couple of weekends away if possible. I also want to give kite-surfing and wake-boarding a crack now I'm finally feeling better about my weight, and much fitter to boot.

We got lucky again this trip with the people we were there with. We were a bit worried before we went that it would be a bit of a let down this year, because the people we met last year were so nice, but we had an absolutely ace bunch again this year, including one big group we met last year!

I always feel sad saying goodbye to people at the end of the week, as we all form such a strong bond over the week. We live in each other's pockets for the week - meals together, on the beach together, lessons together and then out together in the evening, either in the beach bar or out in town. They feel like your best friends by the end of the week, but experience says that we don't really stay in contact once we're back in the UK.

The other thing that always gets me is the instructors. I'm so incredibly jealous of them as they are living their lives doing exactly what they love doing in amazing locations around the world. They seem so young and glamorous and cool and have so much fun, and I just wonder what the hell I'm doing wasting my life being miserable. It feels a bit like I live most of my life in a grey fog, and it lifts when I'm away on these holidays, only to come back stronger then ever when I get home. I'm seriously considering how I can jack it all in and go and have some adventures before it's too late!!

What else happened this week? We had a couple of wild nights out, I picked up a stomach bug mid-week which flattened me for about 36 hours - annoying but it happens, got picked up by the rescue boat several times, broke my rig twice on the final day (it's slightly disconcerting when you surface after a wipe-out, grab your board and find that your sail is no longer attached but floating about 15 feet away!), and generally gathered an impressive collection of scrapes, bumps, cuts, bruises and mosquito bites over the week, including getting smashed in the face by a sail in high wind resulting in a nosebleed.

All in all it was an absolutely freaking awesome holiday and I cannot WAIT to go back. Photos to follow, along with life plans to drop out and go and do something more fun with my life whilst I'm stil vaguely young!


-- Posted from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment